Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Five - Family and Friends

It's time for another Friday Five linkup with the DC Trifecta. Thank you to Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia for hosting this week's theme of Family and Friends.



I'll be honest, I have never been a very athletic person in the past. I was always the one who would rather be sitting in a corner reading a book. Athletic activity is something new to me though healthy cooking is something I've been trying to do for a while. I've been enjoying sharing my journey with family and friends in various ways.


Homemade granola... a delicious and healthy gift that I gave to my mom.

1. Cooking healthy (but delicious) at home - I really think the key to making healthy eating a sustainable habit is making sure the food tastes good! I really try to make food which makes me want to eat it again but also happens to be healthy. My husband was never big on healthy eating before we got married but he enjoys the food I make and the side benefit of it also being good for him. He's even joined me on a Weight Wathcers journey and I like to think that part of the reason is that he knew he could do it and still eat tasty food. I lvoe scouring cook books and the internet for healthy, delicious food. I think I have as many cooking blogs I follow as running blogs :)

2. Entertaining with healthy food - I love catching up with friends over a meal. We used to always go out to do this. Let's face it, most restaurant food is not healthy. Now that we've moved to a house and have more space, I love inviting people over to our place. And this allows me to make sure the food is healthy. Again, I never announce it as healthy food but I just try to strive for delicious food with natural ingredients that happens to be good for you. I had some friends over for a movie night and served vegetables with a yogurt dip, black bean frittatas with guacamole, homemade chili lime popcorn, and sangria (it's got fruit!).

5k with my dad

3. Running together - Due to some strange coincidence, several of my friends got into running at the same time. We keep each other motivated by signing up for races together. I have Ben's Run as well as the Semper Fi 5k coming up with that group of friends. And I even did a 5k with my dad at the beginning of this month, which was a lot of fun. Race day excitement is even better when you have people to share it with :)

4. Fitbit - Back when I started my getting active journey but before I had started running, I decided that I wanted company. So I bought my dad a fitbit. I bought myself one as well adn my brother joined us by also getting one. It's been extremely motivating to link up with them online through the fitbit and seeing how active we're being. I'm not going to lie, the competition aspect of it is fun. My brother and I send each other little taunts and my dad and I share encouraging comments. If one of us seems to be slacking off we can reach out and ask what's going on. It's been a great was for the three of us to have some extra family bonding. And it's a great way to keep track of how active or sedentary I'm being in my daily life, not just while excercising. It's definitely caused me to change some habits and try to walk more throughout the day by just doing things like parking further or taking extra water cooler trips.

5. Sharing about my journey - I've definitely noticed that by posting things on pinterest or facebook, people ask questions. Other people I know who may be new to working out or cooking healthy food then know that they're not the only ones out there trying new things. We can ask each other questions, share information, point out interesting articles, etc.

I'm looking forward to a beautiful spring day tomorrow for the last long run with my beginning running group.  I hope you all have a great weekend as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment