Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Summer vegetable skillet lasagna

This is another recipe I tried from Oh My Veggies. This website has recently become one of my go to's when I'm seeking cooking inspiration.

You don't usually think of a lasagna as a summer dish, but her summer vegetable skillet lasagna was a perfect summer dinner.  And it's all cooked on the stove top, so no needing to turn on the oven to heat up the kitchen as an added bonus.

You can see the original recipe at the above link but I made some small changes that I list below.  It made 4 servings so we had enough for left overs and it was even better the next day.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I just used garlic powder)
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped               
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 1 to 2 ears of corn) (I used frozen corn)
  • 3 1/2 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half (about 1 cup) (I cut mine smaller, more like thirds)
  • I had half a bag of left over spinach so I added that in as well
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (I didn't have this so used dried oregano instead)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 8 ounces uncooked regular lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
  • 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (plus extra water as needed, I used an extra 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese                   
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Chiffonade fresh basil, for garnish
First I heated the oil over medium heat and added the onions to sautee for around 1-2 minutes. I added in the red pepper flakes at this point too since I like them to flavor the oil. 

 

Next I added in the zucchini, corn, green beans, dried herbs, garlic powder, and salt to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables started to soften.

  

Once the veggies had cooked a bit I added in the spinach. It seems to take up a lot of the pan but of course, it wilts down to almost nothing.

 

Once the spinach cooked down a bit, I added the noodles on top. I also poured in the can of tomatoes and the broth.  I also added an extra 1/2 cup of water because it seemed to need more liquid.


Next, turn up the heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until the pasta is tender. The recipe said 20-25 minutes but it only took around 15 for me.  It might depend on the type of noodles you use.  Once the pasta is at the consistency you want, turn the heat down to low.

I spooned the ricotta over the top of the pasta and tried to spread it out a bit so there was even coverage for the most part.  Then I spread on the mozzarella cheese. Re-cover the pot and let cook some more, until the cheese is melted. Turn off the heat and let it rest uncovered for 10 minutes.  Toss on the basil before eating.


This was a delicious and relatively easy one pot meal.  It was both hearty and filled with Summer veggies at the same time. Mike and I both loved it!


I'm  linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday and will be linking up with Deborah and Tina for Meatless Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment