Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday 5 - things I love about DC

Happy Friday!  As opposed to last week, this week has flown by for me.  I can't believe it's already Friday.  I guess I'm getting used to a 5 day work week again after all the holidays.  Of course, this is just in time for another 4 day week next week.  But I'm not complaining :)  I'm definitely looking to having Monday off.

But for now, it's time for the Friday Five link up with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney.  This week's general theme is favorites.  So I thought I'd talk about 5 of my favorite things of living in the DC area since I was driving downtown yesterday evening and thinking about how lucky I am to live here.

1.  Easily accessible nature - I love how green the city is and that Rock Creek Park is right there in the middle of the city.  As you move out in the suburbs, there continue to be state and national parks and many suburban green areas.  As you continue moving out you have places like Great Falls nearby and the mountains  and beaches within a couple hours drive. 

From a run last Summer by Great Falls

2.  Cosmopolitan offerings - But at the same time, we are still a major world city.  There are some great (and free) museums, lots of performing arts centers and it seems like there are always interesting things to do and check out.  More things to do than time unfortunately but I try to take advantage of it when I can.

3.  Quirkiness - We're not Portland or anything but I we do have a lot of young people in the city and a bit of a revolving population.  That can be a good thing or bad thing.  But I think it does help the city maintain some quirkiness and I enjoy keeping an eye out for unusual things happening around the area.  For example, there will be a "pony pop-up" in the city this weekend where there will randomly be a couple ponies on the street corner for passerby's to feed.  Why?  Why not may be the better question!

4. Restaurants - So many great places to eat in the area!  It ranges from little ethnic places in strip malls to fancy restaurants headed by celebrity chefs.  I love all the great ethnic food available, from Ethiopian to Korean and we even came across a Georgian restaurant in the suburbs a couple weeks ago.  I still have to give that one a try. The Washington Post did a series recently on the best food cities in the country and DC is right up there.

One of the coolest veggie options I've had at a restaurant

5. Great for runners - And of course, it's a great city for runners.  There are lots of different places to run from the mall surrounded by iconic monuments to trails surrounded by nature.  And the races, so many races!  There are small, local 5ks and big races like Rock and Roll DC or the Marine Corps Marathon.  When I hear about people coming from out of town to run these races, it reminds me of just how lucky I am to live in this area.

A downtown run by the monuments with a friend

So those are 5 of my favorite things about living in the DC area.  It's got it's downsides, just like everywhere else, but I consider myself fortunate to be here.

I'd love to hear what you love about the area you live in!


No comments:

Post a Comment