Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sweet Potato and Turnip Skillet

A couple weeks ago Hungry Harvest had a box that included a turnip.  I have to admit I've never cooked with a turnip before.  I don't think I've ever eaten a turnip before!  The box also had a couple sweet potatoes so I went searching for recipes that had turnips and sweet potatoes since I figured root vegetables generally go well together.  I found a lot of recipes for gratins with cream and cheese but I was looking for something a tiny bit lighter (and plant based given my recent cholesterol issues).  So I kept looking.  And I found this Herb Roasted Sweet Potato and Turnip Skillet from Jessi's Kitchen.  It was so easy to put together and a pretty delicious way to eat these veggies!

I mostly kept to the recipe as written, just changed up a tiny bit based on what I had on hand in my kitchen.

Trying to make it pretty while layering

Serves 4

Ingredients
1.5lbs sweet potato (I only had 1 pound of sweet potatoes and it was still fine) 
1lb turnips 
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp butter (or more oil to keep it plant based)

Right out of the oven

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.
  2. Thinly slice the sweet potatoes and turnips - I used a mandolin set to 1/8 inch.
  3. Toss in a bowl with olive oil and seasonings.
  4. Layer in alternating pattern.  The original recipe calls for a cast iron skillet but I ended up using a glass baking dish instead.
  5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  6. Remove foil and add the cubes of butter around the skillet (or brush the top with oil). Broil on high for 3-4 minutes or until top is slightly crispy.
  7. Let it cool for a couple minutes and dig in!
 
We served it with a salad and it was delicious!

 I'm linking up with Deborah and Sarah for Meatless Monday.



 Jalapeno Quinoa Lentil Slaw



No comments:

Post a Comment