Thursday, January 9, 2014

Homemade granola

So I've been working on losing weight and it's been a slow but steady journey with Weight Watchers.  I'm ok with slow because I'm hoping that means it will be sustainable in the long term.  I've used several Weight Watchers recipes to try to find a healthy way to make something that I used to eat.

I've always had a weakness for cereal and especially granola.  I looked at the calorie count on one of those single serving boxes of granola once and decided it wasn't too bad.  It was only after I ate the whole thing that I noticed it said that there were 2 servings in that little box!  Needless to say, it cannot be a normal part of my diet anymore.  However, I found a Weight Watchers recipe to make my own granola and it works pretty well.

The recipe can be found here.  It's essentially mixing the oats and rice krispies and letting them bake.  While that's happening, you mix the oil, honey, apple juice, vanilla and cinnamon.  Take out the oats/rice krispies, add in the apple juice mixture and almonds, and put back in the oven to bake some more.  It's very easy.  The recipe calls for adding some dried fruit but I opted out of that in order to be able to add my own fresh or frozen fruit.



My breakfasts for the week have been 1/3 cup of the granola, 1 1/2 teaspoons of chia seeds, 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of almond milk just to thin it out, and top with whatever fruit and flavorings I want.  Apple and cinnamon is great at this time of year.  I've loved strawberry and vanilla in the summer.  I've had pineapple and coconut before when I've been in the mood for something tropical.  Sometimes I add splenda but if the fruit is sweet enough, the extra sweetener isn't even needed.

I'm always looking for more healthy breakfast ideas so feel free to share any of your favorites!


No comments:

Post a Comment