Monday, March 17, 2014

Weekly review

I had a pretty good running week. Tuesday was a track workout with the running group.  We did "ins and outs" for the first time.  I had no idea what this meant but it turns out it was going faster on the straight part of the track and slower on the curved part of the track. We did 20 minutes of that, took a walk break, and the another 20 minutes of running at a regular pace. I felt pretty good after the workout was over.



I checked my splits and for some reason I was slower during miles 1 and 2 and more than 2 minutes faster for mile 3.

I noticed a bit of pain around my left knee on Wednesday so I didn't do any strength training since I didn't want to risk making it worse with squats or lunges.

I went for a run I my neighborhood Friday afternoon but it didn't go too well.  I had trouble with my breathing. I think I was congested because of the rapidly changing weather this week. I ended up walking more than planned and you can see the slowing in my pace.



But I had a great run on Saturday! It was interesting because this was a "rehearsal" for our March 30th 5k and we did the same course we'll be doing that day. Since it was a rehearsal, I'm going to write a separate post about it later this week.  Suffice it to say I need to set a new goal time for the race.

Photo of group members chatting before our run at Seneca Creek State Park, which is beautiful.

Sadly, the area around my left knee is still hurting so I didn't do any strength training on Sunday either.  I did do a lot of foam rolling, stretching and icing over the weekend.  I was told that the pain sounds like it might be from tight tendons in the area due to not stretching or warming up before running. I did skip my warm up walk on both Tuesday and Friday :( I've learned my lesson and I think the icing, stretching and rest has helped so hopefully it will be back to normal soon.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment