Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tasty Tuesday Refrigerator Oatmeal

I'm linking up for tasty Tuesday with Fairytales and Fitness and Lean Lena.  I've been a bit bored with my normal oatmeal breakfast recently and I've been using it as an excuse to buy breakfast out a bit too much.  So I decided to shake up my oatmeal a bit this week and go back to refrigerator oatmeal.  I first heard of it from the Yummy Life and have made it several times in the summer.  The temperature may not be at summer levels yet but I'm ready for when it does warm up later this week!


The recipe is simple and no cooking involved.  The key is that you have to make it the night before.  I make mine in Tupperware so that I can take it to work the next morning.  I use 1/4 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of almond milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons of chia seeds.  I mix these ingredients all together and then you can be creative with the seasonings. I used cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla today as well as some honey. 



The Yummy Life has several delicious options listed on the site. The cocoa banana is a favorite, as well as the almond mango. The maple blueberry is also delicious.  I like using frozen fruit, which is what I'm doing this week.  I always have some in my freezer and it's easy to use, especially because I don't like putting the fruit in the night before.  I mix in all the ingredients except the fruit and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The oatmeal softens from being in the mix overnight and can therefore be eaten without needing to be cooked.  The next morning, I just toss in some frozen fruit and take it with me to work. By the time I eat breakfast, the frozen fruit has thawed and the liquid helps flavor the oatmeal even further.


I love this because it's easy to change up the flavor, quick for weekday mornings, and healthy with the oats, chia seeds, greek yogurt, and fruit. I also find it pretty filling and it carries me through lunch.

Do you have any go to breakfasts for weekday mornings?


No comments:

Post a Comment