Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - minestrone soup

I'm linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday.

I have to confess that we haven't been cooking enough at home in the past couple weeks. Part of that has been the preparing for the camping trip and then recovering from the camping trip! We're heading out of town again this weekend and therefore I decided to try to stick with easy things to cook that I can just throw together and don't need a recipe for.  So here's my version of minestrone soup that I put together this week.  It is in no way authentic and different every time I make it.

Another confession, I forgot to take photos until we were about to eat! So no in progress photos. Blogger fail.  But this is so easy to put together that it really doesn't need in progress photos.

So I started out dicing half an onion. I warmed up about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot with red chili flakes, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds (chili to taste and maybe half a teaspoon each of the seeds).  Once the oil was hot I threw in the diced onion and sautéed for a couple minutes. Next, I put in a 28 ounce can of tomatoes, a can of chickpeas, and 4 cups of vegetable broth.  I added garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried basil and dried thyme. I had some frozen vegetables (green beans, carrots, and corn) so I put in about a cup of those.  I let the soup simmer together until it came back to a boil and then out in 4 ounces of whole grain macaroni.  I let it cook for 8 minutes and voila, the soup was ready! This made 4 servings if you're using it as a main dish and more like 8 servings if you're using it as a starter.  We topped it with parmesan right before eating and it was delicious.  Here's a photo of the finished dish.


I know it's not exactly a recipe, but this is often how I like to cook, just throwing things together and tasting as I go.  For some reason, it's less stressful for me this way instead of having to follow a recipe exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment