Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday Five things from the internet

It's Friday again and time for the Friday Five link up with Cynthia, Mar and Courtney!  This is such a fun link up and there are always so many interesting posts to hop over to so definitely check it out :)  This week, I'm doing another post where I share some interesting things I've read from around the internet recently.


1.   This is an interesting post about minimizing your time running a race by running the tangents.  Now, I am not fast enough that this really matters for me but it's an interesting topic.  I know my Garmin is always over the official race distance and I understood that's because of weaving during a race, but I didn't realize that there was a way to minimize that.  I'm not sure how well this would work in crowded conditions though as it might be difficult to run the tangents without running people over. And I'm not a fan of the fact that she advocates for ignoring course rules asking you to stay to one side of the cones or another.

2.  Another interesting discussion on Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or "DOMS."  I've always thought that a little muscle soreness is a good sign that I've worked out effectively.  The article discusses that there are good and bad sides to DOMS.  I can definitely see that, especially if you're sore to the point where it's difficult to move or walk down stairs.

3.  Here is an interesting article for beginners on what an easy pace is and when does it actually begin to feel "easy."  I have to admit that when I started running and I was told I should run at an easy pace, I felt like that was impossible.  Nothing felt easy!  And running at a pace where conversation was easy seemed impossible at the beginning too.  But take heart because there are definitely ways to get there!  You just have to get over that initial hump.

4.  In case you didn't hear, the men's marathon record was broken last week at the Berlin Marathon.  Interestingly, the last six male world marathon records have been run at Berlin.

5.  I saw this quote on Active.com and it really resonated.  "I don't run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days."  I definitely started running to feel and be healthier but I feel like it has enhanced my life in so many additional ways.  I've really found so much more than I expected to on this journey since I've begun running.

And to end on a fun note, a photo to show you what my days working from home are like.  Perry tends to sit near me looking out the window, and then periodically decide he needs attention from me.  So he comes over, steps all over the key board, and literally get in my face.  It's good for him he's so cute!


I'm in Disney World today and heading to my first expo ever! I'm excited for the vacation and the race tomorrow.  I hope that all of you have a great weekend ahead of you too :)



No comments:

Post a Comment