Thursday, November 6, 2014

Breakfast frittata

Hi, guys! I hope everyone is having a great week :) Mine has been a little busy and hence the Tasty Tuesday post has turned into Tasty Thursday this week. But the link up with Lean Lena is still up and still a great place to find some food related fun posts. I'm also adding this post to the Meatless Monday link up with Deborah and Tina.

This week's dish was inspired by Deborah at Confessions of a Mother Runner. She has a great recipe for a breakfast casserole that she cuts into individual portions to use for her breakfasts for the week. What a great idea for a grab and go breakfast that's hearty and healthy. I've been getting a bit tired of oatmeal lately so here's my take on this idea.

I decided to go with a frittata (pretty much to minimize the number of dishes I had to clean later). I was planning on a broccoli and cheese version but strangely, the grocery store was out of broccoli.  They had some brussel sprouts that looked good so I went with those. But the beauty of this type of dish is that you can really use any type of veggies and cheese that you have sitting around the house.

Half an onion
Half a bell pepper
Brussel sprouts (I think I used 6-8)
6 eggs
Splash of milk (optional)
Crushed red pepper flakes
Garlic powder
Smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Makes 4 servings

Preheat oven to 375

I started by finely chopping the veggies.  And this is the key for haters of brussel sprouts, shred them or chop them finely and you can't really tell what they are.  I love them but Mike is not a fan.


I sauteed the onions and peppers on medium high for about 5 minutes and then added in the brussel sprouts.  I seasoned the veggies with salt and pepper and let them cook for another 5 minutes on medium high so the brussel sprouts could get some color on them.  I then covered the pan with a lid to let them finish cooking through, about 5 more minutes on medium.

 
While the veggies finished cooking, I cracked the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisked them up with the seasoning.  I would have added a splash of milk at this point if I had remembered to buy any.  Once the veggies were ready, I turned the heat to low and added the eggs into the pan.

 
I added half the cheese on top of the eggs at this point.  Let the eggs cook until the bottom begins to set and then pull up the edges a little so some of the unset eggs from the top can reach the pan and begin to firm up.  Once most of the eggs are set, I added the other half of the cheese on top and put the pan in the oven (make sure yours is oven safe first). I let it finish up in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.


Once the frittata is done, pull it out from the oven and take it out of the pan to cool on a plate.  I learned this one the hard way.  If it cools in the pan, it could go back to sticking on the sides and bottom.  It is definitely easier to take it out when it's still warm.  It's beautifully puffed up at this point and will deflate as it cools, but it's still delicious.  I cut it into 4 slices and voila, I had breakfast for the week!

 
I packaged each slice in an individual ziploc bag so I could just grab and go in the morning (I also took a slice of toast) and then microwaved at work before digging in.  This was a seriously delicious and easy breakfast for my weekdays.

Anyone else have any ideas for easy weekday breakfasts to take to work? And don't forget my give away for an armpocket :)





No comments:

Post a Comment