Friday, November 6, 2015

Friday Five - favorite race signs

It's Friday and I'm in Disney World!  I'm happy to finally be down here and today is packet pick up at the expo plus mostly taking it easy so I don't tire myself out before the 5k and half marathon tomorrow.  But Friday also means time for the Friday Five link up with Cynthia, Mar and Courtney.  Today's theme is about favorite race signs.


I love spectators and spectator support on the race course.  It really helps pull you through sometimes.  And I love reading all the great signs out there.  So here are a couple that I've loved.

1. I love signs that are specific to a race theme.  The first year I did Lawyer's Have Heart, Mike cheered us on with a sign that side "Show Them how Lawyer's Run this Town."  He apparently got quite a few cheers for that one.


2.  Speaking of signs that are specific to a race, there are a lot of political themed signs at DC races and I love those. I almost always see one that says "You're Running Better than Congress."

3. Signs with pop culture references are so much fun, especially when they're 80's and 90's references. That's the route we went when we spectated at the Marine Corps Marathon last year.  We had a sign that said "You're 2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit!" with a photo of MC Hammer.  We got a lot of positive feedback for that one :) 


4. Speaking of pop culture references, I love almost all things nerdy.  Bring on the Dr. Who and Star Wars! Running at Disney has a great one on her site with a picture of Yoda that says "Keep Running for that Churro, You Must." That one would have really kept me going in a race!

5.  And lastly, I love the beer signs and the people giving out beer on the course :) When I first heard of this, I thought it was so strange.  Why would anyone want to drink beer while they're running a marathon or half?  But we were cheering next to the beer table at the Marine Corps Marathon and the runners seemed to love it.  So I tried it at the Richmond Half and it tasted like the best thing ever at mile 10! And I tried it at the Rock and Roll DC Half and it really helped keep me going through that cold rain.  So I was converted to a believer :)

Any favorite signs you've seen?  I'm always happy for ideas for the next race we spectate!

No comments:

Post a Comment