Monday, April 4, 2016

Weekly Review


I'm linking up with HoHoRuns and MissSippiPiddlin for their Weekly Wrap.



 http://hohoruns.blogspot.com

Well, last week did not go as planned.  I was supposed to have my second half marathon of the year on Saturday and I didn't do it.  I'm not hurt or anything, I just decided that I didn't want to do it.  I think the problem is I just chose this as a goal race because it was at the right time, and didn't research the details as fully as I should have.

I didn't realize that the race wasn't on a paved surface.  Also, it has less than 200 participants and a 3 hour finish limit (my half marathon PR is 2:57 something).  But I was willing to suck it up and view that as a challenge I should push myself for.  Because even though it was on an unpaved trail, it was supposed to be mostly flat.  And that PR was from RnR DC last year so I should be able to beat it. I would be at the back of the pack and mostly by myself, but hopefully the pretty trail would help me push through.

However, then it was forecasted to rain.  And I began to have a lot of anxiety about the the fact I haven't trained on trails and now it would be a muddy surface.  I kept checking the forecast in the hopes that it would change but it only changed for the worse.  It was supposed to rain the whole time I was running, and I knew the trail conditions would not be ideal.  Usually, it wouldn't matter since I run most of my long races for fun any way.  But the only reason I was doing this race was for time.

So, Friday afternoon, I decided that I just didn't want to do the race.  It didn't have all the race day excitement I enjoy at the larger races, it was causing me a lot of anxiety as I was worried both about my time and potentially falling and hurting myself, and I wanted to keep running as something fun.  And I am at peace with this decision.  It was the right thing for me at this time and that was confirmed for me when I checked my fitbit sleep stats yesterday.  Friday night was the first full night of sleep I had all week.

Here are some more specifics on my workouts for the week.

Monday - rest

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - Yoga essentials from Runner's World

Thursday- 40 minutes on the elliptical at the gym

Friday - Yoga Essentials from Runner's World

Saturday - I found a random Bollywood dance workout from You Tube.  It was pretty silly, but a ton of fun, pure cardio, and I was dripping sweat by the end.


 Speaking of Bollywood, here's a cool video I saw on Facebook of a bollywood version of Justin Bieber's "Sorry" video. She also has tutorials on her You Tube site so I may give those a try for fun.

Sunday - Strength training

So what's next?  I'm looking forward to just getting back to working out for fun.  I'm don't have to start training again for any big races until July or August (I haven't picked out a training plan yet).  I'm looking forward to just running for fun and trying out different work outs at the gym. I'm planning on using the next 6 weeks to try to increase my running intervals as one of my goals for the year was to run a 5k without a walk break and my mid-May race will be a good option for my first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment