Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Speed work not on track?

I've been feeling a bit bad about my training this cycle because I haven't made it to the track.  At first it was hot and I was just trying to get out there in the mornings before work when it was cooler but the track time available through our running club was after work.  And now, the running club has been having a bit of a hard time with a consistent track schedule, though hopefully that will be fixed soon.

But then I read an article that talked about speed work on the roads and how that may be even more beneficial for people preparing for road races.  That's what I wanted to hear!

But I'm not really sure how to do speed work on the road (or sidewalk in my case).  The benefits of the track are that it's flat and it's easy to measure with laps.

 
The track in Winter has the added benefit of being cleared of snow!

Now I do live in a hilly area and running hills has been called speed work in disguise.  So that's one thing I've got going for me.  Any other tips on how to incorporate speed work while running on hilly sidewalks instead of on a track?

One of the long uphills on my neighborhood run

I think my plan going forward (the track should be more available starting next week) is to alternate weeks.  1 week I'll do speed work on the track or treadmill and the next week I can do a hilly neighborhood run.

Gratuitous cat photo since Shelby sat still long enough for me to get a picture :)

I'd love to hear what you do for speed work!

No comments:

Post a Comment