Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - rice and grilled vegetable salad

I'm hooking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday again after a break.

We had beautiful weather this weekend.  I didn't get to enjoy it on Saturday because I was sick but I wanted to spend as much time outside as possible on Sunday. So we pulled out the grill and made a delicious and filling salad. I used rice because it was the only grain I had in my pantry (crazy, I obviously need to restock!) but I think it would be good with almost any grain.


I started out cutting up peppers, zucchini and onions and marinating them.  This wasn't an exact recipe so I don't have specific measurements.  It's more of a throw things together and keep tasting until it's delicious sort of thing.  The marinade was the juice of one lime, cider vinegar, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil.  The vegetables marinated for a short time, 15-20 minutes and then went on the grill.  I also cut a lemon in half and stuck it on the grill as well as some cherry tomatoes wrapped in foil.  I tossed a bit of white wine in with the tomatoes as well as garlic, salt and pepper. Once they veggies were done, I cut them up into bite size pieces.


I also smooshed up the tomatoes so it turned into a bit of a sauce.


I also grabbed some thyme from the garden.  I haven't had a chance to plant anything this year yet but the thyme and oregano lasted from last year and are thriving!


Once the rice was ready, I seasoned it with some salt and juiced the grilled lemon over it.  I also mixed in the thyme.  Then I threw in the chopped up veggies and the tomato mixture as well as a 6 ounce package of feta cheese and a drained and rinsed can of chickpeas.


It was delicious! The grilled veggies gave it a great smoky flavor, the feta provided bursts of saltiness, the herbs and lemon provided a fresh flavor, and the chickpeas added protein. This is a super versatile salad as you can use any grain and veggies you have on hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment