Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday Five - Race Memories

Thank you to Courtney, Mar and Cynthia for the theme of this week's Friday Five link up, Race Memories.  I love this idea!

1. My very first race ever was the Susan G. Komen race for the cure 5k.  It was years ago.  Seriously, I think it might be more than 10 years ago.  I have no photos of it, no idea what my time was, but I remember that it was a really moving event.  There were crowds of people, wonderful energy, and so many people running in honor of or memory of loved ones.  But for some reason, it was a one and done thing for me at that point.

2. The Piece of Cake 5k was the goal race for the MCRRC 5k training group I joined up with in January. The training group was awesome and it was wonderful to run with them.  But the weather for this race was horrible.  It was cold, windy, and rainy and by the time I walked back to the car I could hear my socks squishing in my shoes. But at least I've had the experience of finishing a race in bad weather and I can look back on that for proof I can do it in case I have to do it again.



3. The 80s Run 5k I did in early March with friends was badly organized but we had fun almost in spite of the race.  The best part is my dad was in town and I got to do this one with my dad.  We had a great time and spent the 5k catching up, which we don't always have the opportunity to do.


4.  My first 10k was the Lawyer's Have Heart 10k and this is definitely a great memory because it was my first 10k.  Also, it is one of the few races where I had a time goal for myself and it was awesome to beat that goal.  It's nice to look back on this type of success :)

5.  I volunteered at the Nike Women's Half Marathon in DC earlier this year and that was a wonderful experience.  I was stationed at the water stop right after the finish line and it was amazing to be able to see everyone cross over the finish line and cheer them on.  Volunteering was definitely hard work but so rewarding!


I love all the memories I've been able to create with family and friends since I've started running this year!  I hope everyone is gearing up for a good weekend :)


No comments:

Post a Comment