Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Homemade Granola

I'm linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday and will also add this post to the Meatless Monday link up with Deborah and Tina.  I sadly haven't had much time to cook this week with the out of town travel.  So I'm resurrecting the first recipe I posted on my blog for this week's food related link ups :)

I've always had a weakness for cereal and especially granola.  I looked at the calorie count on one of those single serving boxes of granola once and decided it wasn't too bad.  It was only after I ate the whole thing that I noticed it said that there were 2 servings in that little box!  However, I found a Weight Watchers recipe to make my own granola and it works pretty well.


 3 cups uncooked quick oats
2 cups rice krispies
6 tbsp honely
1 tsp oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp each of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and vanilla extract
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup each of dried cranberries and raisins (optional, I didn't use)

Pre-heat oven to 350, mix the oats and rice krispies and let them bake for 10 minutes, stirring once.  While that's happening, you mix the oil, honey, apple juice, vanilla and cinnamon.  Take out the oats/rice krispies, add in the apple juice mixture and almonds, and put back in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.  If you use the dried fruit, add it in once the granola has cooled.  I opted out of the dried fruit in order to be able to add my own fresh or frozen fruit.


I use this for breakfasts by combining 1/3 cup of the granola, 1 1/2 teaspoons of chia seeds, 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of almond milk just to thin it out, and top with whatever fruit and flavorings I want.  Apple and cinnamon is great at this time of year.  I've loved strawberry and vanilla in the summer.  I've had pineapple and coconut before when I've been in the mood for something tropical.  Sometimes I add splenda but if the fruit is sweet enough, the extra sweetener isn't even needed.

And I also think this is a great gift to give people as well since Christmas isn't too far away :)


No comments:

Post a Comment