Thursday, November 13, 2014

What to wear for a cold race?

The countdown is almost over and it's 2 days to my first half marathon!  I'm finishing up with packing tonight and leaving tomorrow afternoon to head down to Richmond.  I've been checking the forecast every day in order to try to be prepared and this is what it seems to have settled on for the weekend. 







 

 Yay for no rain on Saturday!  And it will be sunny, with just a light wind.  So not bad.  But that temperature will be interesting to deal with.  I've run in cold weather before but I'm just not sure how to deal with the quick increase in temps that morning.  The race website indicates that it will be around 32 when I start and almost 45 by the time I finish.  So do I dress for the start or the finish?

I checked Runner's World and their recommendations are pretty different from 30 degrees to 45 degrees.  They recommend pants and a long sleeved shirt for 30 and shorts and a short sleeved shirt for 45. So I think my plan is to split the difference.  I'm going for a short sleeved shirt with arm warmers and capri running tights with compression socks.  I'll have gloves, a head band with ear warmers, and sun glasses as well. I will have a trash bag and throw away clothes to try to stay warm at the start.

What do you think?  Will this plan work or should I change something up?  I welcome any and all recommendations given the varying conditions!


No comments:

Post a Comment