Friday, August 7, 2015

Friday 5 - reasons I joined a gym

I hope everyone's had a great week!  This week went by super quick and I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I'm especially looking forward to the blogger brunch being organized by the DC Trifecta tomorrow :) And speaking of Courtney, Mar and Cynthia, it's time to link up with them again for the Friday 5!

 
Today's theme is "a day in the life" but I've already done one of those and let's just face it, my days aren't that interesting!  Instead, I'm going to talk about the reasons I recently joined a gym.  We had a gym at work but it's closed for several months and being refurbished. So I decided it was a perfect time to look into other options.

1. Locations - You would think that the gym at the office would be super convenient.  And it was in a lot of ways.  But the problem was that it was at work.  And therefore work would interfere.  So there were multiple times that I missed lunchtime yoga because of meetings.  And I wasn't going to back to the office in the evenings or on weekends.  So in reality, there were limited times I used the work gym.  I joined a gym that has a ton of locations so there is one between work and home, one between home and my friend's house, one by the metro, etc.  And locations outside the area so I can use them when I'm traveling too if I want.

2. Variety - Initially I thought that I might want to join a studio like where I went for aerial yoga or pure barre . I enjoyed both of those.  But that's a lot of money to do just one thing.  The thing I like about the gym is the variety of work out options it provides me.  I like that it has yoga, pilates, dance classes, weight lifting classes, etc.  And of course it has weights and cardio machines I can do on my own as well.  The one I joined even has outdoor zumba and outdoor boot camp in the summer. I'm sure the yoga classes aren't as good as the ones at a dedicated yoga studio but they're still good and right now I value the variety more.

Aerial yoga was awesome, but I still prefer the variety of classes at the gym

3. Companionship - Mike joined the gym with me so I look forward to being able to go to the gym together.  I feel like companionship and having made plans to go together will keep me on track more.  Plus, I have a couple friends who are members of the same gym.  I already have a work out date with one of them for tomorrow. No one was joining me at the work gym!

4. Cost - Cost is always a big consideration when looking at gym memberships.  I wasn't sure it was something I wanted to invest in.  But I was paying $12 per pay period for the gym at work.  And this one was $16 every 2 weeks.  So it wasn't that much more for many more locations and better variety, plus the option for my husband to join at the same price.  So I'll be cancelling the payment for the work gym and paying this one instead.

5. Climate control - Lastly, I love climate control!  I know you can run outside and I do try to do most of my runs outside but I really appreciate the option of the treadmill when the weather gets extreme.  I wouldn't have joined for that alone but combine that with the number of locations and variety of classes, and it's a nice little perk :)

I'm ending this post with a kitty photo, because they always make my day a little brighter :)

Perry modeling with work out cat on my shirt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment