Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Stacked black bean enchiladas

I hope everyone's week has been going well!  I've been struggling a bit with allergies this week and feeling a bit under the weather.  This has really had me craving some comfort food.  Something carby and cheesy but also easy and that would make enough for leftovers.  This had me automatically thinking casseroles and once I saw this recipe for a stacked enchilada pie, I knew that was the direction I was going to go in.  I love enchiladas but never make them at home because I can't get the hang of rolling the tortillas without them breaking.

Of course, we made ours a little differently.  So here's what we ended up with.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
5 10 inch flour tortillas
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion
1 jalapeño pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounces shredded mexican cheese
1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, taco sauce or salsa (I used a mix of taco sauce and salsa because it's what I had at home)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  I then chopped diced the onion and jalapeno pepper while the oil was heating in a large sautee pan.  Once the oil was hot, I put in the onion and pepper to sautee for a couple minutes, until the onions were translucent.  I then added in the beans, corn, and all the seasonings and let cook for an additional 5 minutes.


Once the filling was done, I turned off the stove.  I used a square baking dish that the tortillas just fit in.  I put 1/4 cup of sauce on the bottom and then put on a tortilla, another 1/4 up of sauce, a 1/4 of the bean/corn filling, and 1 1/2 ounces of cheese.  Keep layering that way until you've put the last tortilla on top.  Then add the remaining 1/4 cup of sauce and the remaining cheese.


Stick it in the over to bake for 25 minutes.  We let it cool for 10 minutes and then cut it into quarters to enjoy!  Feel free to top with any toppings of your choice like cilantro, sour cream, guacamole or avocado slices.  I had it without any toppings and it was still absolutely delicious.


In other news, Cascia of Healthy Moms Magazine just informed me that I was included on their list of 100 running blogs.  I was definitely honored to be included in such a great list, and there are some new-to-me blogs on there I look forward to checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment