Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday Five - things about me

I'm linking up again with the DC trifecta for a Friday Five post.  Thank you ladies for doing this!

Today's theme is 5 things about me as an opportunity for us to get to know each other better.  I'm a pretty new blogger so I think this is a great idea!

1.  Where I started - I was born in India, but I didn't stay there too long.  We moved to the U.S. when I was around 1 year old and I became a U.S. citizen when I was around 19.  I do love going back to India to visit extended family and I still speak Gujarati (the local Indian language my family speaks) with my parents.

IMG_0629
Photo of Mike and my brother wandering around an old step well during our last trip to India.

2. Where I grew up - When we first moved to the U.S. we lived in New York City.  That's where my brother was born.  But around the time I was 5 or 6 we moved to Ohio.  I grew up in a very rural part of Ohio and was very eager to leave once I hit 18.  However, I have a nostalgic fondness for Ohio and enjoy visiting my family in Columbus, which has become quite the dynamic city.  Mike and I even got married in Columbus.



3.  Where I am now - I moved to DC for college when I left Ohio.  And I've stayed in the DC area ever since.  I've shifted between living in DC, Virginia and currently Maryland, since that's where my job is.  It is so much easier living relatively close to work given the state of the traffic in this area.  And we just bought a house last year, so we'll probably be staying here for a while.  I love that the house allows me to finally have a garden, unlike apartment living.

 
Anyone who's lived in the DC area should recognize the metro, our underground system.

4.  What's going on today - My parents are coming to visit today.  My dad and I are doing the 80's retro 5k tomorrow so I'm planning to go pick up the packet this afternoon.  I've also taken the day off from work to run various errands and clean the house before my parents get here!


Photo from my parents' wedding.

5.  Something random - I've never been an athlete and I'm not that much into sports but I've always been a basketball fan for some reason.  I enjoy both college and professional basketball.  When it comes to college, I'm an Ohio State and Georgetown fan.  When it comes to NBA, I'm a New York Knicks and Washington Wizards fan.  I've never lived in New York but my entire family are fans of the Knicks for some reason.


Photo from the last Georgetown game we went to.

I hope everyone has a great weekend coming up!  Anything you want to share about yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment