Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chipotle scrambled eggs

Last week, we had made chipotle oyster mushroom tacos which were delicious.  But we had a lot of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce left over.  So I scoured the internet for something else to do with those left overs.  I came across this recipe for chipotle scrambled eggs from Macheesmo Meals.  It was amazing!

I'll be honest and admit I don't have photos of the dish in progress.  My wonderful husband made brunch for me while I was at the Semper Fi 5k and it was waiting for me when I got back home. He said he followed the recipe closely and the only change he made was to cut the recipe in half because there was only 2 of us. Here are the ingredients from the original recipe for 4 servings.

  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons sour cream (or crema mexicana)
  • 2-3 chipotle peppers, de-seeded and minced
  • 1-2 Tablespoons adobo sauce from Chipotles
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 - 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheese
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
These were super easy to make.  Combine the eggs, sour cream, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Whisk together to combine though the sour cream won't be completely blended in. Put into a hot pan with the butter and cook on high heat until the eggs start to firm up.  Turn the heat to low and let the eggs continue to cook.  When they're almost done, add in the cheese and continue cooking until the eggs are done and the cheese is melted.  Salt and pepper to taste.



The sour cream really made these eggs taste indulgent.  And the chipotle peppers didn't make it too spicy but instead gave the eggs a wonderful smoky, savory quality.  I wouldn't say these were exactly low cal, but they were a wonderful post-race treat. They were served with roasted potatoes.  The potatoes were cooked for 20-25 minutes in a 500 degree oven with olive oil, onions, peppers, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt and pepper.

And a bonus recipe... I still had some chipotle sauce and eggs left.  So I made them into egg salad to use for sandwiches for weekday lunches.  I hard boiled 8 eggs and once peeled and cooled, I combined them with 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, a couple tablespoons of adobo sauce, diced bell peppers, salt and pepper.  This made 4 servings of egg salad to use for sandwiches.

All in all, the chipotle peppers on adobo sauce were a great find that resulted in three delicious dishes. Have you found any ingredients that surprised you with their versatility and how far they stretched?

No comments:

Post a Comment