Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tasty Tuesdays - chipotle oyster mushroom tacos

It's Tasty Tuesday and I'm showcasing another recipe from Isa Does It, chipotle oyster mushroom tacos.


I've made these tacos twice and they are amazing! They're also surprisingly easy and have an amazing amount of flavor for very little work.  The chipotle peppers are definitely key to this recipe.  It ended up a bit spicy for Mike so you may want to start with a lower amount of the peppers if you're concerned about the spice levels.  And in the interest of full disclosure, Mike made the tacos the second time and the photos are of the ones he made.  I forgot to take a photo of the first batch (blogger fail).  I took a photo for the ingredients instead of typing them out.


A note on the mushrooms. Oyster mushrooms can be a little expensive. The first time, I used a mix of oyster mushrooms and white mushrooms.  The second time, we just used the white mushrooms.  The recipe was delicious both ways but the oyster mushrooms definitely added an interesting variety and texture.

I started by making the slaw so the ingredients could have time to sit together and let the flavors meld while I made the rest of the tacos. I also added an extra splash of apple cider vinegar as the lime juice alone didn't seem enough flavor for me.

For the filling, I started out be sautéing the onion with a pinch of salt for a couple minutes until translucent. I'm sensitive to fresh garlic so I didn't use it but you would add it at this point if you use it. Then the mushrooms with the rest of the salt get added to the pan. Sauté for an 5 minutes and then add in the tomatoes, chipotles, cilantro, and cumin. I used canned tomatoes the second time and I didn't add the cilantro since my husband hates it.  I just added cilantro leaves to my own tacos at the end. Anyway, the whole thing cooks together for about 5 more minutes. Last, add in the pinto beans and lime juice and let cook for a couple more minutes.



Serve in soft tortillas with some of the slaw and whatever toppings you want.  I put guacamole and cilantro on mine while Mike put sour cream and cheddar on his.


Even Shelby was intrigued by this recipe :)


No comments:

Post a Comment