Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Tasty Tuesday - Asparagus and Ricotta Frittata

It's Tuesday and for the first time in a long time, I have a Tasty Tuesday recipe to share!  I have to be honest that the reason it's been so long is that I just haven't been cooking that much.  I've been eating way too much take out or throwing together sandwiches or simple dishes like rice and beans. No one need me to blog about my PB&J!  But I'm trying to inspire myself with some of the spring produce that's beginning to come out and start cooking again.  This weekend was a perfect start since I had a friend over for dinner on Sunday and it felt like a nice, warm, Spring day.

So I scoured the internet and decided to go with an Asparagus and Ricotta Frittata since it seemed nice and seasonal.  I decided to pair it with guacamole since I love guacamole but don't usually make it because Mike is allergic to avocados.  I put on some music, poured myself some wine, and got to cooking.  And I got so into it that I forgot to take photos until the end!  Oops, but at least I was having a good time :) This recipe makes 4 servings.

Ingredients
1 medium onion
1 bunch asparagus
1 tbsp butter
7 eggs
2 tbsp sour cream
3 ounces ricotta
1 avocado
1 jalapeno pepper
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 plum tomato
Juice of half a lime
salt and pepper to taste

I started by preheating the oven to 375 and chopping half an onion and a bunch of asparagus.  I trimmed the woody ends off the asparagus and chopped the remaining spears into approximately inch long pieces.  Don't worry, this is a rustic dish so it doesn't need to be perfect.  I melted a table spoon of butter in a pan over medium heat, then put in the onion to saute for a couple minutes, until translucent. Once the onion had sauteed, I put in the asparagus to cook as well.

While the veggies cooked, I broke the 7 eggs into a mixing bowl and whipped them with 2 tablespoons of sour cream.  It's fine if the sour cream doesn't fully integrate since it will melt once the eggs are added to the pan.  I also put in salt and pepper to taste.

Once the veggies were cooked, I added the egg mixture to the same pan over the veggies.  I reduced the heat to medium low and let the eggs cook for a bit.  Periodically, I lifted up the edges that had already set up so more of the liquid on top could go over the sides and also begin to set up.  Once it was mostly set, I put the ricotta on top by just plopping down a couple spoonfuls of it and then spreading it around so it was evenly distributed.


I put the pan into the 375 degree oven and let it cook for 30 minutes.  While it was cooking in the oven, I made the guacamole.  I just chopped the jalapeno, remaining onion, cilantro and tomato into a fine dice.  I mashed up the avocado in a bowl and added in the lime juice, chopped veggies, and salt and pepper to taste.


When the frittata came out, it was golden and puffy.  It deflates as you cut into it but it's still delicious.


We enjoyed our delicious Spring dinner, and ended the meal with a bowl of strawberries and ricotta topped with some homey and a bit of granola for crunch.  Yum!  This definitely helped inspire me for more cooking and I hope that I can keep it going :)

I'm linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday and will be linking up with Deborah and Tina for Meatless Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment