Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Baja inspired tofu tacos

We decided we were in the mood for tacos this week.  And I keep seeing all these yummy baja style fish tacos with tons of fresh veggies that look delicious.  So I tried to do something similar with tofu instead of fish, and they were delicious!  The main work was the tofu and that can definitely be made in advance.  Once the tofu is cooked, the rest is easy to throw together for a quick weeknight meal.  It makes 4 servings.

Ingredients for the tofu

1 block of firm tofu
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce 
1 tsp honey
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Your favorite chili sauce to taste

Ingredients for tacos

Bag of vegetable slaw (just veggies, no dressing)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey
8 tortillas
optional toppings such as cilantro, salsa, sour cream, guacamole or avocado slices
lime wedges to garnish

I almost always bake tofu.  This is pretty much the only way I make it, unless it's Summer and I can throw it on the grill.  I have to admit I'm generally afraid of frying things.  But it works out because I love tofu cooked this way.  First things first, press the tofu to remove some of the excess water.  I have this tofu press but you can definitely put the tofu in a bowl or deep dish, put a plate on top, and weigh it down with a can or something.  You don't need the special equipment.


I press the tofu for at least an hour.  Then I slice it into thin slices (I get 12 slices out of a block of tofu).  Basically, I slice it into half, then into quarters.  Each quarter is sliced into three pieces.


Next, I mix up the rest of the tofu ingredients into a marinade.  I put the tofu slices into a gallon plastic bag, and pour the marinade over them.  This is an easy, no-mess way to marinade and it makes it easy to flip the slices as well, just flip the bag over when it's time.  So I marinated for an hour, and then flipped and let the tofu sit in the marinade for another hour.


Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Place the tofu on a baking sheet and slide into the oven once it's hot.  I baked them for 15 minutes, flipped, and baked for another 15 minutes.  The tofu should be golden brown and caramelized and the edges a bit crispy.  They are delicious!


While the tofu is baking, I also toss the slaw together.  I just use a pre-shredded bag of veggies from the store.  I mix it with vinegar, salt and honey.  The longer it site, the better it will taste.  But I feel like as long as it sits for at least 20 minutes before eating, it should be fine.


And that's it!  Then you put your taco together the way you want and enjoy :)  I went with guacamole, tofu, slaw, and sour cream on mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment