Sunday, January 14, 2018

Weekly review - Disney World Style

I'm back from Disney World!  It was a good trip for the most part, but it started out with some disappointment when I go swept a bit after mile 20 of the marathon.  But I'll do my race report in a separate post and this will be more of a trip report.

Saturday - We flew out of BWI airport bright and early in the morning.   The flight was around 6am and we were in Orlando by 9 am.  We took Disney's Magical Express shuttle and we were at our Disney hotel by 10 am.  Our room wasn't ready so we checked in and left our bags with bell services.  Then we went out to the bus stop to head straight to the expo.

The expo wasn't too crowded when we got there because Saturday was the 4th day of the expo and I think most people had already come by.  It was a little confusing because things were in different buildings but the signs were pretty good and definitely helped.  The marathon bib pick up was in one building with the official run disney merchandise and Mike's chear squad pick up was in another building with the merchandise from other vendors.  I ended up buying a marathon weekend shirt and water bottle in addition to getting the official race shirt.

I'm keeping the stuff that says "marathon weekend" since it includes everything from a 5k to the marathon and found someone who accidentally got the wrong size race shirt so I'm going to send her my race specific shirt

After the expo, we were able to take a Disney shuttle to Disney Springs, which is a shopping/dining district.  We met up with some friends for lunch at Raglan Road.  We then took a boat back to our hotel since they texted that our room was ready.  I spent some time laying out my stuff for the race the next day, we had dinner at the hotel counter service restaurant and then called it an early night.  We were in bed by 8pm. 15,835 steps.

Sunday - Race day and the race will get a separate post.  After the race, we went back to the hotel to clean up, and then went to Epcot to walk around since we knew that would be better for recovery then just sitting around the rest of the day.  We met up with friends at Epcot, had delicious nachos, walked around and rode some rides.  We loved the new ride in the Norway pavilion that's based on Frozen.  I'm glad that we had an fast pass since the lines were pretty long for it.  62,481 steps, my most ever!

Huddling for warmth in the corral before the race starts

Monday - We got up early and went to the Magic Kingdom.  It was pretty crowded and we were happy that we had fast passes for some of the big rides.  We also did a dessert party that gave us access to a special seating area in the evening for the fireworks show.  It was a little pricey but we thought it was totally worth it!  We had a great view of the show and were able to sit the whole time which our tired legs definitely appreciated.  16,632 steps

Tuesday - This was our day at the Animal Kingdom.  Pandora was their new Avatar themed area that we hadn't seen before.  We had a fast pass for one of the rides, which we were grateful for because the line was more than 2 hours long all day.  It was an amazing ride!  We were all really impressed with it.  We got in line for the 2nd Pandora ride at the end of the park day and there was no line at all.  We had lunch at Tiffins, which was amazing.  The food was delicious, they had really cool art, and it felt like we weren't even in a theme park at all but a high end restaurant somewhere.

And of course, we had a lot of fun walking around and seeing the animals.  20,757 steps

Wednesday - Wednesday was a rest day.  We had thought we might hang out at the pool but it was cool and cloudy almost the whole time we were in Florida and it wasn't pool weather.  So we went back to Disney Springs.  We met another friend for lunch at Morimoto's.  We also did some shopping and checked out the Void virtual reality Star Wars experience.  It was amazing and may be among the coolest things we did on vacation!  My friend left that afternoon and we went back to Disney Springs in the evening to have dinner and check out a new bar, the Edison.  It was really cool.  They had well crafted (though expensive) drinks in a steam punk-y environment with a live band that was pretty good. 20,720 steps

Thursday -   Thursday was our day at Hollywood Studios.  We were a little disappointed in this park as it seemed like there was a lot of construction and not that much left to do.  Much of what was left was related to Star Wars.  We're big Star Wars fans and it even felt like too much for us.  We did surprisingly enjoy the Frozen sing-along.  We only checked it out because we didn't have much else to do but it was really funny!  We also did another dessert party (this one included alcoholic drinks as well) for the special seating area for the Star Wars fireworks show at the end of the night. 14,944 steps

Friday - This was our day at Epcot.  Sadly, Mike started feeling sick this day and it turned out he had picked up a stomach bug.  We did some rides and character meets but cancelled our dinner reservation and took it easy for the rest of the day.  Thankfully the hotel counter service restaurant had several vegetarian options since I ate there twice this day. 17,271 steps

Saturday - This was the day we traveled back home!  Not much to say except the flight went smoothly.  I still got in some decent walking at the hotel before we left and at the airport. 7,874 steps.

Sunday - It was nice being back at home and sleeping in my own bed!  I was also happy to get back to some working out today other than all the walking we did while in Orlando.  It was my first time working out since the marathon.  I did a 35 minute warm up on the elliptical and then went to body pump.

I'm linking up with with HoHoRuns and MissSippiPiddlin for the Weekly Wrap.