Thursday, January 30, 2014

Yum...grilled cheese!

Here is my favorite grilled cheese. For now, anyway.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches and am always on the look for new variations :)

Shelby cat clearly thinks that lying on the table might get her some of our food!

I got this idea from a restaurant we went to once.  And it is so easy to replicate at home!  It involves 1 ounce of sharp cheddar per sandwich, spicy brown mustard spread thinly on two pieces of bread, and a thinly sliced apple.  I generally use Fuji apples because it's what we happen to have on hand.  The sandwich is built as follows: bread, mustard, cheese, apple, cheese, mustard, bread.  And then I grill it on a foreman type grill.  The spicy tanginess of the mustard, the sharpness of the cheese, and the sweetness of the apple just blends into deliciousness.


We had it with cumin roasted vegetables, which was an easy side.  I started with a bag of broccoli and cauliflower florets.  I tossed them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to taste.  I roasted the veggies in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.  They were smoky and carmelized and a perfect accompaniment to the sandwich.

 The finished meal!  If you have any favorite ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich, I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment