Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Easy no-cook breakfast

So I haven't been cooking much in the last week and a half or so.  Unfortunately, our kitchen sink had sprung a leak and the pipes were corroded.  While we were waiting for that to be fixed we sadly ended up with a lot of take out and using disposable dishes and such.  At least I was able to come up with some no-cook options for breakfast.  It was mostly oatmeal in the microwave but I came up with this random dish one weekend morning as well.



It's two slices of toast spread with chocolate PB2 and then covered with strawberry slices.  If you haven't heard of PB2, it's delicious and a great tool for those peanut butter lovers who are also attempting to lose some weight.

It's basically powdered peanut butter that comes in two options, regular or chocolate.  I was skeptical at first and convinced that it must have a lot of chemicals or weird additives.  Nope.  It's just peanuts, sugar and salt.  The chocolate flavor has the additional ingredient of cocoa powder.  You mix 2 tablespoons of the PB2 with 1 tablespoon of water and it's ready to use.  
 
So what's the advantage over natural peanut butter? It is much less in calories and fat. Two tablespoons of peanut butter generally has around 190 calories and 3 grams of saturated fat.  Two tablespoons of PB2 has only 45 calories and 0 grams of saturated fat.  And it still tastes delicious!  I found it to taste a bit less sweet than traditional peanut butter, which I like.  
 
Peanut butter has always been an easy meal for vegetarians but I had stopped using it once I started trying to lose weight.  I was happy to be able to add it back to my diet with PB2.

No comments:

Post a Comment