Monday, April 7, 2014

Weekly review

Time for another weekly review. I had a pretty good week. Monday started out as a rest day and Tuesday I ended up on the elliptical.


Wednesday I did a strength training routine from Fitocracy. Oddly, the routine I had been doing and planning to move up to the next level was gone. I guess they cycle out the options sometimes? So anyway, here is the new one I did instead.

Plus tricep dips and planks.

Thursday was another rest day (though I did get in a 20 minute walk with a colleague during lunch time). Friday was a run around my neighborhood in the afternoon since I was working from home that day. This run didn't go too well. I decided to do intervals of 6 minutes running to 1 minute walking. The first 2 running intervals went ok and I felt good. But then I started coughing and had a hard time catching my breath. I can see how the intervals slowed down when I look at my splits :( I finally gave up and just walked at the end. My left knee was also beginning to hurt. This worried me since I had a 5k on Saturday. But I stretched, foam rolled, and iced that evening and hoped for the best.



Well, I woke up feeling great on Saturday and my knee didn't hurt at all. I had also taken some allergy medicine so the coughing was gone. The race was in a friend's neighborhood so I went to their house early to hang out and we walked to the start together. I'll do a full review later but the race went great! I felt good the whole time, had no problems with either my breathing or my knee, and had fun running with friends.



So I'm not sure why the run on Friday was so bad. I think the breathing issue was due to the start of allergy season so I'll have to remember my medicine. And I think part of it may be a pacing problem. I still haven't figured this out but maybe I'm going out too quickly at the start when I'm on my own without other people to pace me. But I can't figure out why running around my neighborhood hurt my knee when running on the streets in my friend's neighborhood was fine. Is there that much of a different between concrete sidewalks and asphalt streets? Have any of you experienced this type of difference from one day to the next?

The rest of the weekend went pretty well. We saw the Captain America movie and had a great evening with friends over to watch wrestling on Sunday. I even enjoyed wrestling, mostly for the great costumes and campy story lines :) I hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment