Friday, July 10, 2015

Friday Five - fitness trends

Happy Friday, everyone!  It's been a busy week and I'm definitely happy to see the weekend.  I'm also happy to be back to linking up with Courtney, Mar and Cynthia for the Friday 5 link up!  It's always a great group of bloggers and a bunch of interesting posts.

 The theme for this week is fitness trends that we won't be trying. I love how many different fitness options are out there these days.  It really does feel like there's something out there for everyone.  But by that same token, there are going to be some things out there that don't necessarily appeal to you either.  Here are 5 things that I've decided are not for me.

1. Boot Camp - I just am not motivated well by yelling.  I look at these types of fitness classes and cringe.  I know a lot of people love them but I'm happy to stay far away!

2. Minimalist shoes - though I think the trend might be moving away from these . But I have a running friend that continues to try spread the gospel of minimalist shoes.  I know they work great for some people but I really think it depends on your foot and they're not for everyone.  My feet need stability shoes.  They've been working well for now so I'm going to stick with them.

3.The "militarization" of fitness - I read a really interesting article about this a couple weeks ago. Since the article says it better than I could, here are some words directly from the writer.  "There is a massive trend in the fitness industry to glorify exercise as an all-out war on the body...
This trend is a symptom of a much larger disease. We live in a culture obsessed with aggression, and it has found its way into every facet of our lives, even our workouts...Well, exhaustion actually is a status symbol in our culture. And that’s the problem—we’re working and training ourselves to death...Being chronically exhausted is not the key to success. It's a race toward disease and dysfunction."  This is definitely something I see as being problematic and something I struggle against.  But I am trying to treat myself with love and generosity instead and I feel like that's a better path to holistic fitness for me.
 
4. Hot classes - I know several people that swear by hot yoga but I've never tried it and don't plan to try it.  I seem to be always dehydrated.  I'm trying to work on that but hot yoga or other similar classes are definitely not for me.

5.  Obstacle races - I've always stayed away from these because I'm worried about hurting myself.  But I may be talked into one of these later this year so we'll say.  This may be one of those never say never type of things :)

Any fitness trends you're excited to try or definitely planning to stay away from?  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment