Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Cheesy sage polenta with roasted broccoli and mushrooms

Ok guys, it's been a while since I've been able to make a tasty Tuesday post.  And it's not that I haven't been cooking.  It's just that I've been making really easy, basic stuff or I forget to take photos and note amounts.  When I cook, especially when I'm rushed for time, I just kind of throw things in together and see what happens.  It's kind of hard to share a blog post about that :)

But this week, I actually have a recipe to share!  I started with this Sage Polenta Bowl recipe from Oh My Veggies.  I love that website, it seems like all the recipes I've tried out in the past several months have been from there and they've all been delicious.  I modified this one a bit since it has brussel sprouts and my husband refuses to eat them.  I also added some additional spices to jazz it up a bit.

Makes 4 servings

1 package of sliced shitake mushrooms
1 bag of broccoli florets
1 tablespoon of oil (I would increase this the next time)
Salt and pepper to taste
Smoked paprika
Garlic powder
4 cups water
1 cup instant polenta
3/4 cup parmesan
1/4 cup chopped sage


Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Combine the oil, broccoli, mushrooms, salt, pepper and spices in a mixing boil and then spread out on a baking pan so they are all in one layer.  Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.  (Next time, I would do the vegetables separately as the broccoli should have cooked longer.  I would do the broccoli for 30 minutes, put the mushrooms in at the halfway point so they cook for 15 minutes.)



While the vegetables are cooking, put the water on to boil.  Once boiling, add in a teaspoon of salt, reduce heat to a simmer, and then add in the polenta.  Whisk the polenta while adding so it doesn't have lumps.  Keep whisking while the polenta cooks for 3-5 minutes.  Once it's at the desired thickness, take off the heat, stir in the parmesan and the sage.


Divide the polenta into 4 bowls, top each with a quarter of the veggies, and sprinkle with additional parmesan on top if you want.


And that's it!  This was delicious and we both loved it.  And though it didn't look like a ton of food, we both felt it was pretty filling.  This is one we're planning to add to the list of regulars :)

I'm  linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday and will be linking up with Deborah and Tina for Meatless Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment