Monday, March 27, 2017

Back to running!

I've been on a bit of blogging hiatus ever since I wrote about my experience at Rock and Roll DC.  I've also been on a running break.  I had decided to give my knee a bit of a rest before running again.  So I gave it a 2 week rest and had a couple runs this weekend that went well!

While on the running break, I just did a lot of yoga and rolling with the new stick I had bought at the expo.  I think those things definitely helped.  I noticed that my quad and IT band on the right side (the side where my knee locked up during the race) were a lot tighter than the left side.  The yoga and rolling started out painful but it was much better by the end of the two weeks so I think it definitely helped.

I also went up to New Jersey last weekend to visit family and it was nice to spend time with them as well as unplug while I was up there.  I didn't mean to unplug when the weekend started but I forgot the Ipad and my niece and nephew are teenagers now and I didn't want to set a bad example by being the aunt that was always on the phone!  They're teenagers so already heading that way anyway.

 
This nephew has a while before becoming a teenager at least :)

But here are the details on my return to running :)

Saturday - short test run that went well.  I had some twinges on the hills but nothing too bad.

 

Sunday - Long run on the C&O Canal Tow Path with friends.  We went up to the Monocacy Aqueduct area which is beautiful and less crowded since it's further from the city.  It was also nice since it's not paved, flatter, and a softer surface.  We saw lots of deer and even a heron (I think... it was a tall, graceful bird with long legs).  We also had some great conversation while running.  We definitely feel like we've all slowed down over the Winter as compared to last year so I definitely need to add speed work back in.

 

So that was it.  But I think things are better with the knee and I can get back to my regular routine.  And this 10 miles on Sunday means I should be ready for the Georgetown 10 miler (also on the C&O tow path) in a couple weeks!

We had a coupon for half off on Blue Apron so we're giving that a try this week.  Our first meal was yesterday, a freekeh and roasted chickpea salad with harissa glazed carrots and lemon labneh.

 

Hope everyone has had a great couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment