Monday, August 27, 2018

Columbus Nationwide Half Marathon training - week 2

I hope everyone had a good weekend!  I had a bit too good of a weekend and ended up skipping my Sunday long run.  But I still think it was the right decision since I based it on some soreness and inflammation in my foot.  But here are the details.

Monday -  Rest day

Tuesday - Lower body strength training at home since I still had some neck/back pain.  But I had a massage last week and I asked her to concentrated on that area.  It was like magic!  I felt so much better after the massage.  And she gave me advice to keep gently moving that area throughout the day (shoulder rolls, shrugs, etc.).  Before that, I had been trying to keep it as still as possible.  So I think that change helped as well.

Wednesday - Speed work on the treadmill, 1 mile warm up, 1.5 miles 10k pace, 1 mile cool down.  I didn't get a photo of the treadmill data and the garmin data is off based on the speeds I had chosen on the treadmill.  The speed intervals should have been closer to 13 minutes per mile.


Thursday - 30 minutes on the elliptical and body pump


Friday - 4 easy miles - I sadly waited until the afternoon so it was hot and sunny


Saturday - 5 easy miles in the morning


We also went out in the evening to an 80's themed dance party.  I knew this wasn't the smartest idea with a long run (including tempo miles) the next day but it was a lot of fun!  I really enjoyed the music and we got some fun dancing in.  I only had one beer and we left before midnight so I thought it would be ok.

Sunday - Unplanned rest day.  But when I woke up the next morning, I could feel it in my foot :(  I'm not sure if it was the dancing or the speed work earlier in the week.  I mentioned in last Friday's post that the speed work had been resulting in pain in my arch.  So I decided to take a break.  I did lots of icing and foam rolling plus some recovery yoga in the evening.  Thankfully my foot is feeling better today after all that icing yesterday so hopefully things are back on track.

So that was last week.  The plan for this week is below.

Monday - 3 easy miles
Tuesday - Speed work with 1.5 miles at half marathon pace
Wednesday - Body Pump
Thursday - 4 easy miles
Friday - 5 miles
Saturday - Rest day
Sunday - Strength training plus yoga

I'm linking up with with HoHoRuns and Taking the Long Way Home for the Weekly Wrap.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment