Friday, August 24, 2018

Health update

August is almost over and I haven't participated in the Friday Five since July!  This is a great link up hosted by Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness and I'm excited to be joining up again.  I talked earlier in the year about how I had various health things going on so I thought I'd take the time to provide a quick update.  It helps that the news is pretty much all positive!
 Friday Five Linkup 2.0

1. Thyroid - One of the things I had found out earlier in the year that the dosage of the thyroid medication I had been taking for years was all of a sudden too high.  So my doctor lowered the dosage pretty drastically and now the dosage is too low.  So we've moved to a middle dosage and I'm feeling pretty good so I'm optimistic that this is the right dose.  But at least I know to keep checking more frequently for now so we can keep monitoring the dose until we get it right.

 
Vegan ramen noodles for lunch earlier this week

2. Cholesterol - Yay!  My cholesterol numbers were significantly down.  They're still high but much less concerning then they were last time.  I'm not sure what I did that got this result.  I have started taking a high dose of vitamin D since those levels were down too but that can have a side effect of lowering cholesterol levels.  I've also been trying to transition to a more plant based diet.  I'm not always successful but I think heading in this direction has been helpful too.

3. Foot - I'm back to running 4 times per week and my foot has been feeling pretty good!  I've been noticing some pain in my arch after speed work so I've been trying to be good about icing afterwards.  Fingers crossed on this one but the tendinitis seems to be staying away for now.

4. Knee - I have one more PT appointment I need to schedule but this seems to be behaving as well.  It was my calf and hips that had led to the knee problem and I've been good about calf stretches though I probably need to work more on hip strengthening.

Back to body pump this week!

5. Neck - The neck thing had only started a couple weeks ago.  I think it was a muscle strain in my upper back or neck but I had a massage earlier this week and it was like magic!  I can turn my head again and I finally made it back to body pump yesterday.

So that's how things are going for me.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things have been progressing over the Summer and fingers crossed that the forward progress continues :)

No comments:

Post a Comment