Monday, April 22, 2019

Wayfarer's Annapolis 10k - training week 5

The race I'm working toward is the Wayfarer's Annapolis 10k in June.  This used to be a Zooma race and I did it in 2017 when it was still run by Zooma.  I'm excited to see how it's different now.  And Annapolis was a beautiful city to run in.  I haven't really trained for a 10k since my first 10k in 2014.  Since then, any 10k's I've run had been part of training for a longer race.

This week was a mixed bag.  The week went really well but the weekend was not so good.  Here are the details.

Monday - Strength training with a fitness blender video



Tuesday -  1 mile warm up, 3x 100m, 3x 200m, 3, 100m, 1 mile cool down.  The 200m repeats were tough but I hit my paces!


Wednesday - rest day and we went out in the evening to meet some friends at a spoken work/story telling event in the city.  It was fun but did end up seeming like a lot of effort for a mid-week event.  I'm not sure we'll go back to this one.

Thursday - Strength training

Friday - 3 easy miles.  This is when things started to go south.  While I was cleaning up after my run, I had a weird muscle spasm in my lower back.  It led to discomfort the whole rest of the day.


Saturday - 5 easy miles.  I still had back pain when I woke up so took some advil.  And then I felt better in the afternoon so went out for my run.  That was a mistake because once the medicine wore off, the pain was back.


Sunday - Rest day plus yoga for lower back pain.  I decided to play it safe and skip my run since running didn't work out so well for me on Saturday.  I did pull up a Yoga with Adriene video that was specifically for lower back pain and that really helped.  At one point, I felt a small pop and then my whole back relaxed after that.  It's almost as if the muscle never really relaxed after the spasm on Friday and that had been causing the pain. 

There's still some lingering discomfort in my lower back but it's much better than yesterday.  I googled and there are a couple things that could lead to muscle spasms, but one of them is dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance.  I haven't started using nuun yet because it hasn't been that hot but maybe that was part of the problem.  I did put nuun in my water Sunday and drank a bunch so hopefully that will help too. 

Here's the plan for this week.

Monday - I might try to make up my long run from Sunday if I feel better
Tuesday - strength training
Wednesday - 3 easy miles
Thursday - 1 mile warm up, 2x 100m, 5x 200m, 2x 100m, 1 mile cool down
Friday - strength training
Saturday - 4 easy miles
Sunday - 3 miles easy + 1 mile 5k pace

I'm linking up with Deborah and Kim for the Weekly Rundown!
weekly Run Down

No comments:

Post a Comment