Monday, May 6, 2019

Wayfarer's Annapolis 10k - Training week 7

The race I'm working toward is the Wayfarer's Annapolis 10k in June.  This used to be a Zooma race and I did it in 2017 when it was still run by Zooma.  I'm excited to see how it's different now.  And Annapolis was a beautiful city to run in.  I haven't really trained for a 10k since my first 10k in 2014.  Since then, any 10k's I've run had been part of training for a longer race.

This week was pretty food but there was a bit of a damper at the end of the week due to the rain.  Training went well for the most part but rain all day on Sunday kind of derailed my long run.  But that's ok, I have a plan to deal with it.  Here are the details of last week.

Monday - Strength training


Tuesday - Planned rest day.  I also found out I'm getting an award at the conference I'm going to this week.  They sent the plaque in the mail since not all of the recipients will be present at the conference.


Wednesday - 2 mile warm up, 5x 3 minutes/2 minutes recovery, 1 mile cool down.  This went ok, I went out way too fast on the first interval and then tried to slow it down, but all of the intervals were faster then my goal of 11:30.  So even though I faded a bit in the later intervals, I still was faster than the assigned pace.


Thursday - Strength training


Friday - 4 easy miles


Saturday - 5 easy miles with a friend.  I'm not sure what was going on with this run.  My heart rate was really nice and low but I still had a hard time with my breathing.


Sunday - It was raining in the morning but the forecast said the rain should stop by 4, so I planned to run at 4.  But I kept waiting and it never stopped raining.  I think it finally tapered off a bit after 7, but that meant there was only 1 hour of light left and I needed 2 hours of running.  So I decided to do strength training instead, and I 'll take off work an hour early today to get in my 7 miles.


We also had plans to go to the Maryland zoo in Baltimore.  My Christmas present from Mike was the penguin experience at the zoo and we got to pet the penguins!  In addition, since it was rainy, there was hardly anyone else at the zoo.  It felt like we had the whole zoo to ourselves the first hour or so we were there.  The animals seemed to be particularly interested in us and a lot of them came right up to the glass so we had a great time there.


This week is going to be a bit tough since I'm traveling for work.  Here's the plan.

Monday - 2 miles easy, 3 mile marathon pace, 1 mile half marathon pace, 1 mile cool down
Tuesday - 4 miles easy pace
Wednesday - 1 mile warm up, 5x 100m, 1 mile cool down
Thursday - rest day
Friday - strength training
Saturday - 4 easy miles
Sunday - 4 easy mile + 1 mile at 5k pace

I'm linking up with Deborah and Kim for the Weekly Rundown!
weekly Run Down

No comments:

Post a Comment