Friday, October 25, 2019

Doing Things I'm Not Good At

I came across a post on Facebook lately about engaging in creative endeavors just for fun, even if you're not good at them.  It really struck a note with me so I wanted to explore the idea a little more here.  I figured I'd join Fairytales and Fitness for their Friday link up and talk a bit about my thoughts on this.

 
The post was essentially about how it's fine to do things we enjoy, just for the pure enjoyment of it.  We don't have to worry about whether we're good at it or turn it into work so that we get better at it.  Sometimes, we can do things just for fun and because it's good for us.  This reminds me about how I feel about running too.
I'm a really slow runner.  I'm not naturally athletic.  Growing up, I always kind of felt like athletic endeavors were for other people, not for me.  I was just not "naturally suited" for them.  That was kind of the message I got from my family as well.  And I'm a recovering type A personality.  Back then, I would never do things if I wasn't sure I would be good at them.
   
Of course I started with sketching my kitties

 But then I discovered that I enjoy running.  And it's good for me.  So why shouldn't I do it just because I'm not that good at it?  And I'm starting to feel the same about creative endeavors and applying this lesson to other areas of my life. 
   
 
Random paisley patterns

I enjoy dancing and I've started sketching.  I'm not good at it, at all.  And I'm not trying to be.  I'm just doodling around in the evenings but having a lot of fun at it.  I think I might try my hand at some writing/journaling as well.
   
 
It was kind of meditative to work on this mandala
 
It's hard not to be critical when I look at the stuff I've drawn, but then I keep reminding myself that the purpose is just to have a creative outlet and have fun.  If that happened, it's a success regardless of the end product.  After all, I'm not planning to make a living as an artist!

Because at the end of the day, it's fun.  And it's good for me to have some sort of creative outlet for my brain.  So I've added it to my habit tracker and am trying to get in a bit at least a couple times per week.  
How about you guys?  Anyone else struggle with doing things that they're not naturally good at?  Or feel like you can't start a new activity if you don't have the time to devote to becoming really good at it?  It's really been a freeing thought that I can just do these things for myself and for fun and it can just be a fun hobby instead of something that I have to work at.

No comments:

Post a Comment