Monday, March 9, 2020

Pike's Peek 10k training week 7

I hope everyone had a good weekend!  Last week went ok for me.  It was a cutback week so that helped with getting all my miles in.  Well, I extended the week to Monday morning and got my last run in this morning.  But still, that counts :)  So counting today's run, I got in 4 runs and 2 strength training sessions.  Here are the details.

Monday - Rest day plus a 1 mile walk in the afternoon
Tuesday - Strength training


Wednesday - Speed work.  The plan was a 1 mile warm up, 6 x 2 minutes, .5 mile cool down.  My knee hadn't been giving my any pain but as I started to do the speed work, I could tell it wasn't up to it.  I just wasn't able to push off the way I needed to hit my desired pace.  So I just did what I could and went as fast as I could, even though it wasn't the pace I was supposed to hit.  But then I made a stupid decision on the last interval and tried to hit my pace.  Good news, I hit it.  Bad news, there was sharp pain in my good knee afterward :(  I ended up walking the half mile back home since that's all my knee would let me do.  I iced and stretched later in the evening and it felt better by the next day.  I also kept hitting the wrong button on my garmin so this run is split up into three different entries.


Thursday - 3 easy miles and thankfully both knees felt fine.


Friday - Rest day
Saturday - We volunteered to do some voter registration during the morning.


Then I went out for a run in the afternoon.


Sunday - Strength training with a fitness blender video.


We went out to see a movie (Onward) earlier in the day and had planned to get our 4 mile run done later, taking advantage of the extra light in the evening.  But neither of us felt that great so we decided to postpone until Monday.  Turns out that was a good decision because I saw posts on our neighborhood list serve about a lot of smoke in the air.  Multiple people posted to say they couldn't be outside more than 5-10 minutes without starting coughing.  Turns out there was a "controlled burn" in Virginia and it was affecting the air quality over the whole area, even all the way to us in Maryland.

So that's the week.  Here's my plan for the coming week.

Monday - 3 mile run in the morning.
Tuesday - Speed work (1 mile warm up, 8 x 2 minutes, .5 mile cool down)
Wednesday - Strength training
Thursday - 3 easy miles
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - 4 miles + strength training at hotel gym
Sunday - 7 miles downtown DC (we're celebrating our anniversary with a weekend in DC)

I'm linking up with Deborah and Kim for the Weekly Rundown!

 weekly Run Down

No comments:

Post a Comment