Wednesday, March 11, 2020

One Pot Thai Curry Pasta

I love one pot pasta!  It makes dinner so easy and quick.  Everything can cook together in one pot so there's not a lot of clean up either.  I know that is may not make the perfect plate of pasta and that it's in no way authentic, especially since this one is a mash up of pasta with Thai flavors, but it's still a delicious option for a weeknight dinner.  And it uses mostly pantry/frozen ingredients so that's another plus.

I started with the recipe from Vegan Heaven. This is the first time I've tried a recipe from this website so I was happy to find out that it was such a winner. I'm definitely going to be exploring the website more for other recipe ideas.  Here's what I did with the recipe.

4 servings (the website said 3 but this was definitely enough for 4 servings for us)

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced (We used garlic powder)
1 zucchini, chopped 
1 small red bell pepper, chopped 
4 1/2 cups uncooked fusilli (We used rotini as it's what we had in the pantry)
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste 
3 cups diced tomatoes (canned)
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen peas 
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves (We skipped adding cherry tomatoes)
salt, to taste 
black pepper, to taste
fresh lemon juice  (We only had a lime so we used that)

Instructions


Heat some oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic, the zucchini, and the red bell pepper and cook for 2 more minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients. Cook for about 17-18 minutes on medium heat, uncovered. I noticed some sticking towards the end.  If you use the cherry tomatoes, thrown them in around the 15 minute mark.  Season with salt and black pepper.



Tips that weren't in the original recipe:

1.  Make sure it is a large pot!  We chose a medium one and it made it a bit difficult to stir everything, especially at the beginning when the pasta was dry. 
2. I was a little skeptical at the beginning, it looked like it wasn't enough liquid, but don't add more!  It all cooked down fine.
3.  I would say you should stir the pasta periodically, especially once the liquid starts to get absorbed..  I noticed some sticking on the bottom of the pot otherwise.
4. I would maybe add a bit more curry paste next time to bump up the flavors.

And that's it!  It was so delicious.  I think this is one that will go into our regular rotation. I'd love to hear about any quick and easy go-tos you all have for weeknight meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment