Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Peloton App review

As I mentioned in past work out summaries, I've been trying the peloton app with a free 90 day trial.  I don't have a peloton bike or treadmill so I've mostly just been trying the strength training classes and the outdoor running/walking classes.  My 90 day trial ends in mid June so here's what I think of it so far.


I love it!  I've really enjoyed the outdoor running/walking classes.  I would not use them on every run.  Sometimes I like zoning out while on a run and these aren't really conducive to that.  They do help me keep present in what I'm doing.  I really enjoy them for intervals and speed work.  I like the unexpected element of not really knowing what the intervals will be in advance and challenging your body with different things every week.



I also like the variety they offer.  There are different types of instructors and different types of work outs, even in the outdoor category.  And beyond that, there are is strength training, stretching, yoga, cardio dance, etc.  These are all things that can be done without a treadmill or bike at home.


I also like their filtering algorithm.  It makes it pretty easy to find exactly what you're looking for.  You can filter by instructor, length of the class, difficulty, type of work out, etc.  That really helps narrow things down since there are so many classes available.

Downsides?  It does use up battery and data.  I have been downloading my outdoor classes in advance and that helps minimize the excess data usage but it's still something to watch out for.  And the cost is pretty high.  But I do feel like it's worth it.  I enjoy the higher production values, the engaging instructors, the fun music and themes.  And I appreciate how often they have new class offerings.  I haven't tried any of the live classes yet but those sound fun too.

I think we can move the elliptical over and have room for it and the bike!

So the true verdict on how I feel about it is that we've decided to go ahead and get a peloton bike!  We haven't been loving our gym since they closed the branch that was closest to our house.  The gym membership was around $60 per month (for the two of us total) so it works out about the same with the monthly peloton payment.  We've cleaned out a room in the basement that was just being used to house junk so we have a place to put the bike.  And I think the cross training option with the bike classes will help out with some of the knee problems I've been having.  And I've been talking it up to Mike so he's looking forward to using it too. 

So that's my big news :)  We're counting it as my birthday gift, though they bikes are back ordered so we won't actually get it until July.  In the meantime, I'm definitely going to continue using the app and exploring the other offerings they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment