Monday, June 1, 2020

Weekly Review

I hope you're all doing well!  I've been gone for a couple weeks because I pretty much just needed a break.  I've been going through some health issues, and it seems like the world is pretty much falling apart around us.  But I think I'm ready to get back online.  I am looking forward to catching up with all of you and see how you're doing!


Health update is that I did set up a telehealth appointment with the doctor a couple weeks ago.  I had been having pain in my left knee, which I was pretty sure was runner's knee.  I probably wouldn't have called for just that because I sadly have had that before and know the treatment, most of which is just time to let it heal.  But I also had been having right shoulder pain and my range of motion with my right arm kept decreasing.  By the time I talked to the doctor I felt like I only had 50% range of motion in that arm compared to my good arm.

It turns out I have something called frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis.  I'm not sure why or how this happened, but it is more common in women over 40 so I fit that demographic.  And it's more common for people with thyroid disease so I fit that box too.

The doctor set me up with a virtual appointment with a physical therapist and she's given me exercises to do.  They seem to b e working but they're really painful.  They all pretty much involve moving my arm in various ways, to the point of pain, and then going a bit past that point.  The doctor's also put me on some medicine.  It took a while for the medicine to get here so I just started that a couple days ago.  Fingers crossed all of this helps!



As far as working out, it's pretty much been reduced to going for easy walks (the doctor said that's fine for the runner's knee) and the PT exercises (for both my shoulder and knee).  We did get out to one of the local parks over Memorial Day weekend and it wasn't too crowded so we had a nice, long walk.  The knee is a lot better so hopefully I might be able to try faster walking this weekend and then maybe even some easy runs.  The medicine for the shoulder says avoid prolonged exposure to the sun so I've stopped my walks while taking the medicine.  Wednesday is the last day of the medicine so hopefully I can go out again Thursday.

And that's kind of it over here.  We've been continuing to stay home.  Our county opened up some stuff (outdoor patios for restaurants, curbside pick up for retail, etc.) but we're playing it on the safe side.  And we're continuing to work from home.  We've been continuing to cook some fun food as well. And continuing with standards like pastas, fried rice, and Sunday brunches at home.



Lastly, I've been thinking a lot about the protests going on across the US in relation to the police brutality that is faced by the black community.  I've been doing lots of reading, lots of introspection, and looking into ways that we can help.  It's important to me that we do what we can to be allies in this time. It's wrong that this has to happen again and again and that we as a society keep repeating the same mistakes without making changes for the better.

So that's it for me.  I hope that you've all been doing well and staying healthy!

I'm linking up with Deborah and Kim for the Weekly Rundown!
 weekly Run Down

No comments:

Post a Comment