Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats

I've been trying a new breakfast option this week and it's working really well.  I had been having overnight oats for breakfast but I got a bit tired of them.  And I had been forgetting to make them the night before, leaving me to scramble for breakfast in the morning.  So I decided to experiment with steel cut oats since I figured I could make a big batch over the weekend and eat it all week.  I portioned it out into tupperware in advance so it's a grab and go breakfast for the morning.  I started out with this recipe for Morning Glory Oatmeal and adapted it for the instant pot instead so I didn't have to stand over the stove.

Not the prettiest photo but trust me, it was delicious!

4 Servings
  • 4 cups almond milk (I like my oatmeal not too thick, you can try 3 cups if you want thicker oatmeal)
  • 1 cup steel-cut oats
  • 1 cup grated carrots 
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 ounces raisins
  • ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  •  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Sweetener of choice
  • ½ cup coconut flakes (I wanted unsweetened but they only had the sweetened ones at the grocery store so I used less sweetener than I otherwise would)
  • 1 tbsp orange zest
  • ½ cup chopped and toasted pecans 
Put all of the ingredients in the instant pot except for the coconut, orange zest and pecans.  Set it for high pressure for 4 minutes, and make sure the steam vent is in the closed position.  This will actually take longer than 4 minutes since the instant pot has to come up to pressure first.  Once it beeps, let the pressure release naturally.  I think we waited 12 minutes and then manually released the remaining pressure.  It looked way too liquidy at first but it thickened up to the perfect consistency as it cooled.

I then added the coconut, pecans and orange zest.  I stirred it all up, and portioned it out into 4 servings.  I've had it for breakfast every day this week and it is so good!  I love the way all the flavors meld together and it reheats well in the microwave.  And it was pretty easy to make in the instant pot since it's just dump it all in and let it go.  I think the total time to make was around 25 minutes, so not a huge saving over cooking it on the stove top.  But I didn't have to stay in the kitchen during that time and could go do other things, which is why I definitely think I'll keep using the instant pot for steel cut oats.

I'm linking up with Deborah and Sarah for Meatless Monday.



 Jalapeno Quinoa Lentil Slaw

No comments:

Post a Comment