Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Chickpea Flour Omelet

This week has been speeding by!  I'm sure that's because Monday was a holiday so it's only 4 days of work this week.  I did get back to meal planning this week too so I have breakfasts and lunch taken care of to bring to work.  One of the things I've discovered that I enjoy when I'm in a mood for savory breakfasts is a Chickpea Flour Omelet.  It's one of the things my mom used to make for me a lot when I was a kid too so it definitely has some nostalgia to it.  And in addition to being vegan, it's also gluten free!

I started with this recipe from Vegan Richa. I also asked my mom for her recipe but she never actually measures ingredients and instead cooks by feel, so the recipe I ended up with is a combination of the two.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2/3 cup chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
Red chili flakes to taste
1 teaspoon oil
2/3 cup water
Vegetables to taste - I added chopped onion, green pepper, tomatoes and peas as well as grated ginger.

 

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.  Add the spices and the water, whisk until there are no lumps in the batter.  Let it sit for at least an hour.

Add vegetables to the batter and mix.

Heat a non-stick pan on medium high with a teaspoon of oil.  Spread a ladle of the batter and cook for 5 minutes.  Flip and cook for another few minutes until golden brown.  Complete with the rest of the batter.


And that's it!  I like to eat mine like a sandwich, by putting one of the omelets in between two pieces of toast with some ketchup.  But they're definitely delicious on their own too!  And it's a healthy, savory start to the morning.  It definitely kept me full until lunch time.



This was my first attempt at making them.  You can experiment until it gets to the texture and taste that suits you.  I decided that I like them a little thinner than the above and cooked a little longer.

Any other options for savory breakfasts that you've been into lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment