Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Pelothon 2020

I thought I'd give a summary of my first Pelothon challenge!  The timing worked out well for the most part since I received my bike during the second week of the 4 week challenge.  It encouraged me to explore more options than I would have done on my own.  I also joined a Facebook group for the team I was on so that helped with finding more of a community around Peloton as well.

So how does it work?  The first thing you have to do is choose a team.  Peloton set up the teams and assigned certain instructors to the teams.  You could choose the team based on the instructors you liked.  I still didn't know most of the instructors so I kind of just chose at random and ended up on #BreakThroughCrew.  This ended up being a great choice :)  Once you chose a team, you had to add the hashtag to your profile and that was it to get started.

Week 1 - Do a workout with each of the instructors assigned to your team.  I had 6 instructors on my team so that was a lot of classes.  I also didn't have the bike yet for this particular week.  But I was able to get the classes done through strength training, stretching and yoga.  This was a good challenge as it allowed me to try new teachers, and new types of classes as I had never done yoga through Peloton before.



Week 2- Do 2 live classes.  This was a great challenge as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried out a live class on my own.  One of the things I like about Peloton is the ability to do the workouts on your own time, so I wasn't eager to try a live class that would have to be on their schedule.  But I found things that fit in my schedule and I have to admit that I enjoyed the group aspect of the live classes and giving high fives to other people working out at the same time :) This was the first meditation class I tried through Peloton.  This was also the week that our bike was delivered.



Week 3 - Do a class 5 out of 7 days.  This was another fun one.  Again, it encouraged me to try out different types of classes.  This was the first week I tried out a boot camp class. 



Week 4 - Do a pelothon class.  This one was a little confusing to me, and I wasn't the only one based on the comments on Facebook.  But essentially, they had certain classes that were designated as pelothon classes and we just had to do one of those.  It could be live or later once the class went "on demand" so we could do it at whatever time was convenient for us.  That made it a pretty easy challenge.  I finished it with a strength training class with one of the #BreakThroughCrew teachers and it was a lot of fun.



As you finish each week, you receive a digital badge to show your completion.  The badges aren't a huge deal for me, but it's still a nice visual indication of your achievement :)



So that was my first Pelothon!  I really enjoyed it, and am grateful that it encourage me to branch out and try different types of classes.  I'm new to peloton so I don't know how often they do things like this but I'm a fan and will definitely keep an eye out for more challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment